Tuesday, February 6, 2018

PNG Mining Minister Tuke firm on seafloor mining decision

Papua New Guinea Minister for Mining Johnson Tuke is firmly committed to the National Government’s decision to go ahead with the Solwara One project.
Mr Tuke maintained the government has done its due diligence to the latter and Nautilus Minerals has complied per government regulations.

He said this in response to what he termed were external groups that continue to undermine the decision made by the country.
“I stand firm that this is the government’s decision and no other parties can undermine the government.”
“Papua New Guinea is a sovereign nation and as such we go by our own polices and manage our own affairs in so far as this ministry is concerned.”
Minister Tuke made the comments during an update presentation made by Nautilus CEO Mike Johnston on Monday evening in Port Moresby. The presentation has is part of Minster Tuke’s recent planned visits to existing Mine projects in the country.

Minister Tuke said the government has been determined to ensure new prospects get off the ground, thus he has met with developers for other proposed mine projects in the country.
“I have been adamant about this not only you (Nautilus), but few other mining prospectus we have got Wafi (Golpu) and Frieda river to deal with, I am concerned with the timeline. You have give some us certainty,” Minister Tuke told Mr Johnston.
“For the last few years or so we haven’t experienced any new mine. This government is concerned that we should at least come up with a new mine that is the reason why I have demanded to know the timeline.”
He, however, maintained that all requirements for the first of its kind seafloor operation to stick to the policies and environmental provisions. Post Courier/PMW

Next:

Job: Mill Process Trainer at Ok Tedi Mine, Papua New Guinea


SHARE

0 comments:

Please write your comments below in english.The webmaster has the right to reject your comments.